Blackbird Presents is proud to announce the broadcast release and audio/video release of Mavis Staples: I’ll Take You There An All- Star Concert Celebration. This unforgettable, all-star concert features over twenty performances by artists spanning multiple generations and genres including Gregg Allman, Ryan Bingham, Win Butler and Régine Chassagne of Arcade Fire, Eric Church,Otis Clay, Patty Griffin, Glen Hansard, Emmylou Harris, Taj Mahal, Michael McDonald, Buddy Miller, Keb’ Mo’, Aaron Neville, Joan Osborne, Widespread Panic, Grace Potter,Bonnie Raitt, Marty Stuart, Jeff Tweedy, Spencer Tweedy, and special appearances by Mavis herself.
Watch “The Weight” via Pitchfork here.
“That night was really special,” recalls Staples of the concert. “To be able to see so many of my friends up there performing songs that I’ve sung for years was just incredible. I couldn’t wait to get up there and take the stage myself! It was a night I’ll never forget.”
Mavis Staples: I’ll Take You There – An All-Star Concert Celebration was a once in a lifetime event created, filmed, recorded, and produced by Blackbird Presents at Chicago’s historic Auditorium Theatre. The historic night brought some of the biggest names in music together to honor the Rock & Roll Hall of Famer and American icon. Throughout an unparalleled career that spans over six decades, Staples’ soulful songs of justice and equality have become a soundtrack for the Civil Rights Movement, and inspired countless other artists and activists.
“I was honored to have been able to produce a show of this magnitude for a legend like Mavis Staples.” says Blackbird Presents’ CEO Keith Wortman. “To have this great project with so many amazing artists be the first release under our distribution agreement with Caroline is such an exciting moment, and makes this special event even sweeter.” In addition to the performances, Mavis Staples: I’ll Take You There – An All-Star Concert Celebration includes exclusive interviews with many of the participating artists, exploring Staples’ cultural and musical impact. Captured and presented in stunning HD quality with true Dolby 5.1 surround stereo, the full-length concert film and available audio recording spans Mavis’ career from her beginnings at Stax Records, all the way through her recent work with Jeff Tweedy and Ry Cooder. Since their first show, We Walk The Line: Celebrating The Music Of Johnny Cash in 2012, Blackbird Presents has produced concert taping and events to honor John Lennon, Jerry Garcia, Emmylou Harris, Kris Kristofferson, Levon Helm and more. In total, over 200,000 people have attended Blackbird Presents events and over 50+ million homes have watched these performances through broadcast partners like CMT, AMC, PBS & AXS TV.
“Mavis Staples: I’ll Take You There – An All-Star Concert Celebration”
1. Joan Osborne – You’re Driving Me (To The Arms Of A Stranger)
2. Keb’ Mo’ – Heavy Makes You Happy
3. Otis Clay – I Ain’t Raisin’ No Sand
4. Buddy Miller – Woke Up This Morning (with My Mind On Jesus)
5. Patty Griffin – Waiting For My Child
6. Emmylou Harris – Far Celestial Shore
7. Michael McDonald – Freedom Highway
8. Glen Hansard – People Get Ready
9. Mavis Staples & Aaron Neville – Respect Yourself
10. Ryan Bingham – If You’re Ready (Come Go With Me)
11. Widespread Panic – Hope In A Hopeless World
12. Grace Potter – Grandma’s Hands
13. Eric Church – Eyes On The Prize
14. Taj Mahal – Wade In The Water
15. Gregg Allman – Have A Little Faith
16. Mavis Staples & Bonnie Raitt – Turn Me Around
17. Mavis Staples, Bonnie Raitt, Taj Majal & Greg Allman – Will The Circle Be
18. Mavis Staples, Win Butler & Régine Chassagne – Slippery People
19. Mavis Staples and Tweedy – You Are Not Alone
20. Mavis Staples – I’ll Take You There
21. Mavis & Everybody – The Weight
© Caroline International Nordics